Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Results! It's all about results (and having fun)

I didn't get a chance to update yesterday but I ended up getting in a short road ride and for the first time tried out some interval training. It was pretty fun and it sure sends your heartrate through the roof in a very short time!

Anyways, I can see interval training getting results pretty quickly for punchier riding.

The other results I'm psyched on getting are those for my ultrasound. I should find out tomorrow exactly what's wrong with my shoulder and why the heck it's taking so long to feel better. I'll post up the findings when I hear from the doc...

Back to cycling: as 3:30 rolled around this afternoon, plans solidified for a fast ride out to Whytecliff. The cast for today's episode included Sizzle (Kyle), MC (Martin) and Stuey. Kyle's been riding really well lately as I've mentioned recently and it also doesn't hurt that he's probably the most talented, natural athlete that I know personally...Martin's perennially fit no matter whether he's running, riding, ski touring or climbing so it's no surprise when he turns it up notch...Stu is just ferociously powerful and pushes a huge gear; probably in part due to his weight lifting and in part due to his dedication to interval training on his indoor trainer when he doesn't have the time to get outside for a longer ride.

So, it shouldn't have come as a surprise today when we hit Marine Dr. out past Ambleside and started drilling it right away. This in itself wasn't a problem as my legs felt good despite the short, hard ride I did yesterday. The problem presented itself after we got back to Ambleside and it was all I could to try and pull Bookbinder back as he casually turned out the megawatts. It presented itself again as Sizzle drove the train up and over the Lion's Gate bridge, with my legs starting to get quite annoyed with me at this point. As we wound through the south end of Stanley Park and Stu dropped the hammer one more time, I dug deep into my suitcase of courage and pulled Stu back to within about 20 feet before my legs completely exploded and I sat up totally spent.

It feels so good to know that you've accepted every ounce of effort that your body had to give that day, and that with more tenacity, you'll be able to eek out a few more ounces the next time on your bike which may be just enough to send you screaming across the line in front of every other person in the race.

Mountain biking tomorrow with the gang...let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work. Though I think your shoulder injury is moving you closer to the dark side.

    Is the dark side stronger?

    No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

    Don't give in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha...don't worry Matt; Squish is still the land of milk and honey!

    ReplyDelete