Friday, April 3, 2009

Wish I was climbing, but happy I'm cycling...

I've been road riding a lot lately (for me); actually it's unusual for me to be riding this much early in the season. I rode a lot last year around this time but the impetus for that was the aquisition of a new downhill mountain bike and the riding was all done on the trails of Mt. Seymour and Mt. Fromme.

The reason I've been riding more than usual is because 3 weeks ago I injured my shoulder doing my preferred early season activity: bouldering in Squamish on perfect granite in perfect temperatures with good people. I had been having a good day, even sending my project du jour, Mosquito Incubator which I was quite chuffed about as I felt it didn't suit me at all. I had also made considerable progress on my next project and another Squamish classic, No Troublems. To end the day, I chose a near-vertical problem called Class Dismissed just behind the Octagon Boulder. I quickly sorted the sequence, hit the lip but backed off feeling a little insecure pressing out the mantle with no spotter (see, I am getting smarter with age! Har har har). I rested briefly and then tried once more to see if I hadn't missed any holds above the lip to aid in finishing the climb. As I made the move to the incut in teh center of the face, I felt my shoulder clunk a bit as I caught the hold. There was no pain, but I did notice that much of my weight appeared to have been taken by the joint rather than my muscles. Anyways, I bcked off again at the lip and drove the 1.5 hrs back to Vancouver thrilled with my progress on No Troublems and having sent my project .

I woke up Monday morning and could barely lift my right arm...what the heck?!! Now it's 3 weeks later, significant improvement seems elusive and I have a diagnostic ultrasound scheduled for next Wednesday.

So that's why I've been road riding a lot lately. But like my friend Nolan said today, "You can't appreciate the day without night", and I believe there is silver lining to every cloud. Hopefully all this extra riding allows me to achieve my goal of going under 3 hours in the 2009 Test of Metal mountin bike race in June. We'll see...

Enjoy the sunshine this weekend doing whatever you do!

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog, Max! I better go iron my wolfsuit now, but I'll check back for more posts later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maxy! Good luck backcountry skiing today and make sure you bring your wamrest wolfsuit!

    ReplyDelete